Whispering Oak Chesapeakes
About Whispering Oaks
We are located on Florida's scenic Gulf Coast in North Port and St.Petersburg, conveniently centered between Tampa and Ft. Myers.
The American Chesapeake Club
Chesapeake Bay Retriever Relief and Rescue (CBRR&R)
Central Florida Hunting Retriever Club
Mid Florida Sporting Dog Association (FSDA)
Our goal as a Hobby Breeder is producing a versatile, well rounded dog that will excel in the field, show ring and importantly as a member of the family. Having litters once every 2-3 years, we are dedicated to the health and well being of the Chesapeake Bay Retriever. We follow the American Chesapeake Club's code of ethics.
We have had Chesapeakes in our lives and home since 1998. We truly cannot imagine not having at least one of these magnificent dogs in our family.
All dogs we breed have the following health clearances when needed:
- OFA (Orthopedic Foundation of America) for hip and elbow dysplasia
- OFA for yearly screening eye exams
- PRA (Progressive Retinal Atrophy) an adult onset blindness genetically passed and checked thru DNA testing
- DM (Degenerative Myopathy) A disease that affects the nervous system and the dog's ability to walk.
- ED/SF (Ectodermal Dysplasia) Genetic disorders affecting the development or function of the teeth, hair, nails and sweat glands
- EIC (Exercise induced collapse)
The Chesapeake Bay Retriever is a strong willed independent breed that is devoted to it's people as no other breed can be. The Chesapeake is not the breed for everyone.
The Chesapeake Bay Retriever is the only breed that consistently produces dual champions in both the field and the show ring.
Thanks to Kerrie Tatarka of "Brown Dog Photography" Kelly Hayes of Ring Three Studios, Connie Summers Photography, Jane Pappler of Redlion Kennels and Jeannie Harrison of Close Encounters of the Furry Kind for the awesome photos of our kids